- List Your Courses
- Manage Your Schedule
- Get Access to New Students
- Teach at a Local Retailer
Many of you have a new AR-15 and are looking at it wondering how do I load and unload it safely. It is a totally different beast than your traditional bolt-action rifle.
There are many videos on YouTube that you will find useful, but here are ten easy steps to help you as you prepare for your first range day with your new AR-15.
1. First, insure the Weapon is clear:
- Push down on the bottom of the bolt catch
- Depress charging handle release and pull charging handle back while depressing bolt catch.
- Release pressure on the bolt catch and release the pressure on the charging handle.
- Lock charging handle back in place
2. Rotate weapon and look into chamber to make sure it is empty
3. With off hand, strike the bolt catch with the palm of my hand. This sends the bolt forward back into battery.
4. Insert rounds into magazine and insert the magazine.
5. Depress charging handle release and pull it to the rear and then let the charging handle go forward sending the round into the chamber.
6. To offload your AR-15, first remove the magazine by depressing the magazine release button
7. Be sure the firearm is clear by visually inspecting the chamber.
8. Put your thumb on the bolt catch and push down.
9. Release the charging handle and pull back which will remove the round from the battery and lock the bolt to the rear so you can visually inspect the battery.
10.Push down on the bolt catch and pull the charging handle back again to lock chamber open so you can visually inspect chamber.
Be sure gun is placed on safe. It is recommended that you acquire dummy rounds of ammunition so you can practice at home first before you get onto the range with live ammunition.
Have fun and be safe.
How-to articles for hunting, shooting and archery
Comment on articles and join the ORM Community
Latest Gear News
Access to Our Online Outdoor Training Courses
Latest Outdoor News and Events